Welcome to Cowell Area School!
At Cowell Area School we pride ourselves on providing our students with a positive community environment, where both learning improvement and well being are highly valued. Our results show a journey of continuous improvement in literacy, numeracy and SACE achievement, and our staff are continuously learning and developing their practice around evidence-based programmes to provide students with high quality learning experiences.
We have strong connections to our local community and value the role that community volunteers, groups such as RSL and Lions and industry play in providing rich, relevant experiences for our students.
We strive to provide our students with the following:
- Multiple Pathways – academic, VET, links with industry
- Broad curriculum options – despite our small numbers, we strive to provide our students with a curriculum that meets their needs and go out of our way to ‘think outside the square’ when it comes to being able to accommodate the interests of individual students.
- Access to highly qualified and experienced staff – we have a combination of experienced and graduate staff, who are passionate and highly motivated around using their wealth of knowledge to improve learning outcomes for students.
- A range of opportunities – academic, sporting and leadership activities including competitions, seminars, camps, incursions and excursions help develop our students physical, intellectual, creative and social capabilities.
- Support for students – we identify and provide support (including intervention and extension programmes) for students according to their individual needs. Our staff are trained in a variety of evidence-based programmes including MacqLit, MiniLit, QuikSmart, TooSmart, InitiaLit and Pre-Lit.
- Positive culture and values education – we employ a Student Wellbeing Leader and have a focus on developing the wellbeing of our students through such initiatives as a Pastoral Care programme, Eyre Future Mentoring and Restorative Practices.
Our Aquaculture facility provides our students with access to a unique learning opportunity that focuses on Marine and Aquaculture studies and our local oyster industry. Here our students take part in hands-on, relevant experiences that highlight current practices and issues and can lead them to a possible pathway in the Certificate 2 in Aquaculture.
Mrs Julie-Anne Byrnes
School Community Library
Cowell School Community Library is a free service offered to the general public. The Community library is funded by the State Government and District Council of Franklin Harbour. The Library offers a number of services to the local community, including photocopying/fax, access to computers, printing, free wi-fi, as well as some new programs.
We invite you to take full advantage of all the free services provided to you and welcome suggestions of how to engage the community and serve you efficiently
Storytime runs in the Library, during the school term. Come and have some fun with us, as we share a story, sing songs and make craft. Storytime aims to help develop a lifetime love of books and reading while also introducing children to early language and literacy skills. It is a great opportunity to meet & catch up with other families in town in a relaxed environment. Tea & coffee is also available for adults. Contact the Library for more details
The Library runs a monthly Bookclub for adults and new members are always welcome. The Bookclub offers a choice of non fiction and fiction books each month to cater for different readers. Contact the Library for more details.
Monday, Wednesday and Thursday
8.30am – 4pm
Tuesday and Friday
8.30am – 3:30pm
School Holiday Opening Times:
Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday
8.30am – 4pm
Closed on Saturday, Sunday & Public Holidays
The Library is available for your group/club to use as a Venue for meetings or presentations. This includes the use of the data projector for Power Point, DVD or Audio presentations.
Contact us during library hours
Community Library Assistant – Nicole Turner
Address – 42 Story Road, COWELL SA 5602
Phone – 8629 2320
Access our library catalogue here:
Trade Training Centre